What’s all the fuss?

Dr. Weitzman feels it is his duty, and honor, to help people become legal residents and citizens of the United States of America. At our office, we strive to make this process as easy, transparent, inexpensive as possible and move as quickly as possible.

The full instructions are from the US  Citizenship and Immigration Services and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (known as the CDC for short). That website is:


For our office, here is how it works.

Section 1, The Basics

Every person must have the following for the appointment:

1) Passport or Federal acceptable ID (Like a driver’s license with a Real ID star);

2) Their immunization records, or we will substitute for that (see below)*;

3) Their address, home and cell number (can be the same), email;

4) marriage certificate or name change certificate if this has happened since the last filing;

5) A letter from their primary care if they have chronic medical conditions. Ie: Hypertension, diabetes, etc, noting they are under routine care and compliant with treatment. This includes any psychological conditions too, such as anxiety or depression.

USCIS Requirements: If the applicant cannot read, speak, and write English, they must have an interpreter with them for the initial visit with the doctor, and must return at signing to sign the forms.

*If no immunization records, we have to test or boost – based on what is least expensive:

If you have insurance, and your own doctor – best to get it done before you come in. It can save you a lot of money.

There have been some changes over the last year or so from the Federal Government for immunizations. Varicella (Chicken Pox), and the MMR (measles, Mumps, Rubella). If you do not have your records, a booster series is initiated. Normally 2 shots about 1 month apart. You only need the first shot to have the forms signed off on. The applicant pays the pharmacy or health department directly, not us. This saves you money.

For the TDaP and Influenza, a single injection is needed – you will pay the pharmacy or health department directly.

For children, it is a lot more complicated. It is best to have your pediatrician have the child reviewed for immunizations.

Anyone who wants to know what immunizations they need can go to the following website:


and the chart:


Section 2, The Labs:

1) Standard Labs: test for STDs and important public health diseases. These are mandatory and set by the Federal Government. This goes to the lab.

2) Special Testing: This gets added on for several reasons. Mostly due to a random selection or a special evaluation request. It can be a drug urine screen, or Hemoglobin A1C for a diabetic if not up to date, Ect. The patient pays our cost, which is way less than paying at the lab. But you are welcome to pay at the lab directly too.

If your Tuberculosis testing is reactive, you will need a chest X-ray. We will arrange for one at a center that does low-cost testing. You will pay that directly to the radiology center.

Section 3, The Exam:

Just a good once over. Includes a psychological component. You may need to see a psychologist for a formal evaluation, but that is rare.

Section 4, Info Gathering:

After everything is in, we assemble a packet of information, take the applicant’s supplied info, and fill out the I-693.

Section 5, The Signing:

Once everything is complete, and the forms are filled out, the applicant returns to sign the form. If you engaged an interpreter, they must be there to sign. If an attorney needs to sign, they must fill out their section, sign it, and send it to us.

We give them the form in a sealed envelope. We also supply an unofficial copy.